If you have a background in customer service and security, the retail security business could be just right for you. There are lots of opportunities, from security guards who look after shopping centres to store detectives. It’s the kind of role where there is the chance to develop your career in the security sector, so even if you don’t have experience, it can be a great place to start.
Here are some of the main skills you will need to be successful in retail security:
- Observant. You will need to be able to monitor a situation and check that everyone around you is safe and secure. One of your main duties will be to prevent theft, so you will need to keep a watchful eye out for people who may be committing crimes.
- Discreet. Whilst you need to always be watchful, you need to be able to carry out your role with discretion. You will need to be understanding of the people you deal with and act as a reassuring yet unobtrusive presence for shoppers.
- Physical fitness. If somebody does pose a security risk, you will need to be able to detain them until the police arrive. You will need to be physically fit and to have completed training in how to restrain people.
- Good with technology. Your job may involve monitoring CCTV cameras or setting alarms. You will need to know your way around these pieces of equipment, though there should always be training as well.
- Flexible. The work will involve evening and weekend shifts – any times when the shops are open, in fact. Make sure you are willing to work around these.
If you think a career in retail security could be just what you are looking for, make some enquiries with stores and see how you get on. You may also want to speak to a specialist recruitment agency who deal with the security sector exclusively.